Wednesday, September 25, 2013

I am finally sitting down to write about the third part of my "kid testimony." Truth be told, I could probably go on and on about different people in my life and the impact they've made on me. Maybe I'll do that one day but for now, it's on my heart to write about my kids, so that's what I'm doing.

Mitchell and I first started talking about another baby around the end of October or the beginning of November. That alone was a huge step because from the time I got pregnant with Cooper up until that point when he was 14-15 months old we had said we were not having any more kids. We were downstairs in the playroom and the four of us were piled on a little loveseat. Kaylie and Cooper were playing together and I think we may have been watching Elf. Anyone who knows me will not be surprised about that. :) We started talking about another baby and pretty much came to an agreement that we felt we needed one more but not for a little while longer.

Then God probably laughed. I was pregnant with Cannon within a month and even though we had been talking about another baby... I panicked. Anyone who got a phone call from me that night can attest to the fact that I was in shock. Thankfully that wore off quickly and Mitchell did not fall out of a tree stand after hearing the news.

I was due on August 23 which we found out was three days after school started for Kaylie. The entire time I was pregnant I swore up and down that I *would not* have Cannon early. I had stuff to do. I was a sales rep for Chez Ami and I had parties scheduled the first week in August, Cooper's birthday is the 16th, and the first day of school was the 20th. I had stuff to do and he was just going to have to stay put.

We made it through Chez Ami parties, Cooper's birthday, and meet the teacher, but on August 19th, less than 24 hours before school was going to start...I was in labor. I am guessing that God laughed again. I had my first contraction around 5:00 that afternoon. I am so flipping hard-headed that I convinced myself that I was going to wait until the next day. Yes, my plan was to wait it out. Can we say stubborn?! At some point it became apparent that was not going to happen and we finally left our house after 7:00 and got to the hospital around 8. Let me just tell you that it's not very comforting to think that you might give birth at a gas station off 1st Avenue in Birmingham because you might not make it all the way to the hospital. Not a fun thought at all, friends! Long story short, our 9lb 6oz baby boy was born about an hour after we got to the hospital. After a short NICU stay (that's a story for another day) we were discharged from the hospital on his due date.

Our timing is not our own. Plans are great, but it's really not up to us to plan. If I had to pick one thing that Cannon has taught me--that would be it. It is definitely something that I struggle with DAILY. I am an obsessive planner, list maker, etc. and that's just not how God rolls. In hindsight, He probably gave us Cannon a little earlier than we planned because he knew we wouldn't make it through all of Cooper's antics and still want a third baby. ;) Thank you, LORD, for being the ultimate planner.




   
The heart of man plans his way, but the Lord establishes his steps.
Proverbs 16:9

There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens.
Ecclesiastes 3:1

No comments:

Post a Comment